On a rocky outcrop overlooking the rich agricultural plain stands the imposing medieval fortress, guardian of the southern steps of the Auxois, which occupies a strategic position between Dijon and Autun.
Find an accommodation
Chateauneuf en Auxois
An impressive medieval fortress perched on a rocky spur overlooking the fertile plain stands guard over the southern marches of Auxois, a strategic position between Dijon and Autun. Around the castle lies Châteauneuf-en-Auxois, one of the ''Loveliest Villages in France'', a prosperous little village, bedecked with flowers, with fine stone houses adorned with pediments and turret staircases dating from the 15th and 16th centuries. The narrow medieval streets are lined with houses built for rich Burgundian merchants in the Middle Ages and lead up to a viewing point offering a magnificent panorama. The 16th century church of Saint-Jacques and Saint-Philippe has some fine statues, including one of Saint-Jean-Baptiste attributed to Claus Sluter.
The history of the castle at Chateauneuf en Auxois
The history of the castle began in 1175 when a keep was constructed on a promontory overlooking the valley which the Canal de Bourgogne flows through today. During the Hundred Years’ War, it was fortified by a strong outer wall and five towers connected by curtain walls.
In 1460, Philippe Pot became the owner of the castle. He was private counsellor to Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy, and a Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece (Ordre de la Toison d'Or). Philippe Pot added two dwellings and a Gothic-style chapel to the castle. His motto ''Tant L Vault'' can be seen on the mantelpiece above the huge fireplace in the Grande Salle (Great Hall). The chapel is totally covered with 15th century wall paintings depicting Christ and the Apostles.