Roger de Rabutin (1618-1693), Comte de Bussy, a troublesome noble at the Court of the Sun King (Louis XIV) and cousin of Madame de Sévigné, was a flamboyant figure. Soldier, courtesan and a well-known author, he was banished from Court for revealing the shenanigans of his noble contemporaries in a book « l'Histoire amoureuse des Gaules ».
On retiring from Court, which he considered an unbearable disgrace, he wrote his memoirs and corresponded with many people. He also spent his time in exile decorating the family château in the north of Côte d’Or, not far from famed Alesia and Flavigny-sur-Ozerain, famous for its aniseed sweets.
The Château de Bussy-Rabutin or Bussy-le-Grand is a Renaissance-style château initially built in the 12th and 14th centuries and completed in 1649. So it is a discreet mixture of several periods : its façade is from the 17th century, the ground floor (U-shaped main building with two wings) dates from Louis XIII and the upper storeys are from 1649. The main courtyard is surrounded by galleries typical of the first French renaissance period and the roofing is of slate.